Custody Issues Regarding Moving Out Of State

Because of changing jobs and lifestyles, it is common for a parent to want to move out state with a child after a divorce. However, the law does not allow a parent to simply move with a child when the other parent has custody and visitation rights. Perhaps you are reading this page because you want to move out of the area with your child after a divorce, or perhaps your ex-spouse has moved with your child. Either way, we can help you.

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we help clients in Florence and Lexington, Kentucky, in all aspects of child relocation and other custody matters. Attorney Eric Grinnell has personal and professional experience in divorce and related laws. We will help protect you and your child's rights under the law.

Although there are some exceptions and unique situations, the general rules of custody after a divorce are simple:

  • Both legal parents have rights to visitation with the child.
  • One parent is not allowed to move out of the area with the child unless both parents agree to the move.
  • Depending on the circumstances, the court could approve a post-divorce modification of the existing child support agreement to accommodate a move.

Do not try to move your child out of state after a divorce or fight against an out-of-state move without talking with us first. We have a thorough understanding of the options and legal limitations involved. We can help you meet your goals.

Interstate Custody Under The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is a body of legislation that governs determinations of initial jurisdiction over child custody, ongoing custody and post-divorce modifications of child custody orders. An important part of the law involves a parent wanting to move out of state with a child after a divorce.

Although the UCCJEA is critical when it comes to interstate custody issues, many lawyers simply don't know much about it or lack experience handling cases under this law. At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we have handled numerous cases under UCJJEA, and we can provide you with the advice and counsel that you need to understand your rights, protect your interests and protect your child's interests.

Contact The Grinnell Firm, PSC ∙ 859-DIV-ORCE (859-348-6723)

If you or your ex-spouse is considering moving out of state with your child, talk with a lawyer about your rights and options. Call us at 859-DIV-ORCE (859-348-6723) or email us to schedule a consultation with attorney Eric Grinnell.