The Grinnell Firm, PSC Do You Have An Emergency?
Contact Us Now

Richmond Divorce and Family Law Blog

Is my spouse having an emotional affair?

Infidelity in a marriage often leads to divorce as it indicates a significant betrayal of trust between spouses. However, affairs don't always need to be physical in nature to cause problems within a relationship. As explained by Very Well Mind, emotional affairs can be just as damaging to a marriage and may also lead to divorce if the issue isn't rectified. 

Platonic relationships outside of marriage are common, and even healthy in many cases. It's good for married couples to be friends with others, provided those relationships are based on mutual respect and friendship. The main difference between such wholesome platonic relationships and emotional affairs is secrecy. When a spouse has a friendship with a person of the opposite sex, there shouldn't be a need to keep the friendship secret or withhold information. Emotional affairs also have a component of sexual attraction, although this may not be acted on initially. 

Where should I file for divorce?

Military divorces are often more complex than civilian divorces. Members of the military and their families are accustomed to moving around a lot, which can make it difficult to determine the actual state of their residence. recommends looking into a few key factors to make the best decision for you. 

Each state has different laws governing the divorce process. State laws play a huge role in how assets and pensions are divided, and they can even make an impact on things like child custody. Some states only allow for no-fault divorce, while others permit spouses to cite wrongdoing within the divorce proceeding. Some states also require a waiting period before a divorce can take place. That means that spouses might need to be separated for a year or longer before they can move on to the final divorce filing. Legal separation is often complicated when a spouse is on deployment since there will be questions about whether that counts towards the mandatory waiting period. 

Accepting a co-parent’s new partner

Choosing to divorce a spouse is one of the biggest decisions anyone can make. If you have children with your partner, though, the decision may be even more difficult for you. Still, working toward a successful post-divorce future is probably best for everyone involved. 

Remarriage is common after a divorce. In fact, according to a recent study, more than half of divorced Americans over the age of 35 eventually remarry. If you share children with an ex-spouse who remarries, you must develop a strategy for accepting your former spouse’s new partner. 

How can I deal with loneliness after divorce?

Going through a divorce can be a lonely, isolating process. This is especially true while your kids are with your ex-spouse for summer vacation or visitation. Re-building your life is key in this case, but this can be a difficult process for many people. Accordingly, Psychology Today offers the following tips on how you can deal with loneliness after getting divorced. 

Don't try to do it alone

Dealing with custody during deployment

One of your primary concerns following your divorce in Richmond is likely to be maintaining frequent contact with your children. Such contact may be relatively easy to maintain thanks to your custody or visitation schedule, yet what happens if and when your military obligations call you away. Many in your same situation who are facing a deployment come to us here at The Grinnell Law Firm, PSC concerned that they will have difficulty getting back into the same routine with their kids once they return. If you share the same worries, your fears certainly are justified. You can rest assured, however, that state the recognizes the importance of your service and will not penalize you for that. 

Fulfilling a military deployment is unlike relocating for a new job. In the latter case, you are consciously choosing to move away. Thus, while the court may be accommodating in adjusting your custody or visitation agreement, there is no legal obligation to do so. It is not so with a deployment. According to Section 403.340 of Kentucky's Revised Statutes, and modification of your custody or visitation schedule that arises due to your deployment will automatically cease once your deployment has ended. 

Ending a marriage due to a spouse’s addiction

Marriages break down for countless reasons, and many people have filed for divorce as a result of domestic violence, infidelity or growing apart from their spouse over the course of many years. In this post, we will examine the role that addiction can play in the breakdown of a marriage. There are many different habits that people may struggle with and these addictions can be absolutely detrimental to any relationship, whether they involve sex, drugs, gambling or other areas of concern.

If your spouse is addicted to alcohol or an unlawful substance, you may be struggling with numerous hardships. In addition to difficult behavior, their addiction may be especially harmful if you have kids who are exposed to their behavior and they may lead to financial problems as well. Or, if you are married to someone who has a sex addiction you may be very upset with their actions and no longer able to stay in the marriage. Gambling, overeating and even an addiction to working excessively can also be very harmful in any marriage.

How prevalent is divorce in the United States?

Marriages end for many reasons, and divorce has become an increasingly popular topic of discussion in recent years. Some people may not realize just how many married couples end their marriage, and this information can be beneficial for people who may feel like they are alone or facing challenges that many couples do not have to deal with. Moreover, those who are experiencing emotional issues related to their divorce may benefit from counseling and a thorough examination of the different legal options that are in front of them.

According to data that was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were more than 827,000 divorces in the U.S. during 2016. It is important to keep in mind that this data on couples who decided to end their marriage was only collected from 44 states and the District of Columbia. Out of these states, the divorce rate in 2016 was 3.2 out of 1,000, while the marriage rate was more than twice that at 6.9 out of 1,000. Therefore, it is clear that many more people will file for divorce in the years to come.

How to expedite the divorce process in Kentucky

Many couples in Kentucky struggle with their marriages. Divorce rates were just one factor recently used in a study that determined the most stressed states in the country. Kentucky ranked fourth as most stressed. 

Couples will experience more stress if their divorce process goes on for months or even years. Sometimes, there is nothing to do about this. Contentious divorces are occasionally unavoidable, but a couple can take steps to try to speed up proceedings. 

Understand your rights on spending child support

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we know that there are many misconceptions that Kentucky residents hear after a child support order is made by the court. If you receive child support, your ex may have told you that you must give him or her receipts, or he or she may try to dictate how you spend the money. Family members and friends may inform you that you must report your spending to the court. Understandably, this information can give you a great deal of anxiety about how you spend child support.

Fortunately, as FindLaw explains, family court will not ask for receipts or proof of your child support spending. Your ex-spouse also may not tell you how to spend it or demand receipts. As you know, child support is for your children’s benefit, but you can use your discretion on how to spend the money. You may, for example, consider the following expenses necessary for your children’s well-being:

  • Food, clothing and necessities
  • School supplies, tuition, tutoring and extracurricular activities
  • Medication, doctor’s visits and medical insurance
  • Savings for emergencies or future college funds

Allowing both parents time for a summer vacation

The warmer temperatures that accompany spring often prompt parents in Richmond to start contemplating how they are going to best utilize the extra time they will have their children during summer breaks. People, in general, tend to enjoy a period of downtime (indeed, according to Travel Agent Central, 35 percent of Americans take a vacation in an area more than 50 miles away from their homes annually). Parents often utilize their children's summer break to take their vacations; divorced parents are no different. Yet fixed custody schedules can make planning a summer vacation difficult. 

The state's guidelines for managing custody during the holidays have been detailed in the past. Many also wonder if similar guidelines exist during summer break. The Kentucky Court of Justice has indeed set forth details for managing custody during this time period for older children (custodial guidelines for infants less than 18 months old do not consider summer break as these children are yet to be subject to school schedules). Kids between 18 months and three years of age are afforded 3 periods of four consecutive days with their non-custodial parents during the summer. Non-custodial parents are also given two extended periods of custody during the summer in which they can have the kids for two consecutive weeks (the custodial parent is also allowed one week of uninterrupted custody). In either case, both parents are required to give the other at least 60 days notice of their vacation plans. 

Tell Us About Your Situation. We Will Contact You Back Promptly.

Get Started

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Consult an Experienced Florence Family Law Attorney

Our Florence divorce lawyer is happy to answer any questions you have about divorce or any family law matter. Call 859-DIVORCE (859-348-6723) or email us to schedule an appointment. We can assess the facts of your case and recommend the best steps to take next.

The Grinnell Firm, PSC
71 Cavalier Boulevard
Suite 127
Florence, KY 41042

Phone: 859-408-7159
Fax: 859-919-2155
Florence Law Office Map