Select Page

If you are a Kentucky resident and fail to pay child support to the custodial parent, there are multiple ways the Child Support Enforcement Office can enforce the order and collect the money you owe.

According to the Kentucky Customer Service Website, the action that the office will take may vary based on your financial situation and other circumstances surrounding the case. For instance, if there is illness, unemployment or unexpected hardships involved, they may be taken into consideration.

Being late on a payment is not categorized as failure to pay until the amount that you are behind is the equivalent to a month’s worth of support.

Once it has been established that you are behind, Child Support Enforcement can petition the court for jail time. If you owe more than $150, your state tax refund can be intercepted to pay your obligation. If you owe more than $500, money can be intercepted from a federal tax refund.

If you have a past due amount that exceeds $2,500, Child Support Enforcement can report your case to the U.S. State Department. This can result in passport denial. You will then have to pay the amount that you owe in full before your passport will be released to you.

If you are receiving unemployment benefits, up to half of your check amount can be withheld in order to pay off the delinquent account. A lien can be placed on your property, which will be removed only after you payy off the past-due amount along with interest and fines that may be associated with it. The state can also notify financial institutions where you have accounts of your delinquency, resulting in the freezing of your accounts and removal of funds necessary to pay off your obligation.

If you fail to pay six months’ worth of child support, Child Support Enforcement can suspend your license. To reinstate your license, you will need to pay the past-due amount in full or make a payment in addition to entering into a payment agreement.

This post is meant as an educational resource only and should not be substituted for professional legal advice.