The Grinnell Firm, PSC Do You Have An Emergency?
Contact Us Now

Understand your rights on spending child support

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we know that there are many misconceptions that Kentucky residents hear after a child support order is made by the court. If you receive child support, your ex may have told you that you must give him or her receipts, or he or she may try to dictate how you spend the money. Family members and friends may inform you that you must report your spending to the court. Understandably, this information can give you a great deal of anxiety about how you spend child support.

Fortunately, as FindLaw explains, family court will not ask for receipts or proof of your child support spending. Your ex-spouse also may not tell you how to spend it or demand receipts. As you know, child support is for your children’s benefit, but you can use your discretion on how to spend the money. You may, for example, consider the following expenses necessary for your children’s well-being:

  • Food, clothing and necessities
  • School supplies, tuition, tutoring and extracurricular activities
  • Medication, doctor’s visits and medical insurance
  • Savings for emergencies or future college funds

It may surprise you to learn that you can also choose to spend child support on your children’s emotional needs. Something that makes your children happy or builds family memories, such as movie tickets, birthday gifts, a restaurant meal or a family road trip can all be considered acceptable child support expenditures.

As our page on child support explains, this area of family law can be complex and emotional. You deserve to know your rights and to have peace of mind when making decisions for your children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Situation. We Will Contact You Back Promptly.

Get Started

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Consult an Experienced Florence Family Law Attorney

Our Florence divorce lawyer is happy to answer any questions you have about divorce or any family law matter. Call 859-DIVORCE (859-348-6723) or email us to schedule an appointment. We can assess the facts of your case and recommend the best steps to take next.

The Grinnell Firm, PSC
71 Cavalier Boulevard
Suite 127
Florence, KY 41042

Phone: 859-408-7159
Fax: 859-919-2155
Florence Law Office Map